Sunday, December 9, 2007

Our Roman Holiday

After returning home from vacationing in Italy, my husband Freddie and I made a decision. We decided to look at ways of life that most Europeans have in common. One thing we noticed in Italy and France is how commonplace if not prevalent scooters are. Since we live in Southern California where the weather is agreeable most of the time, we contemplated purchasing a scooter. But not just any scooter. Our theme is a European life. So naturally we decided to purchase a Vespa.

We came to this decision because Vespas are made in Italy and they have a vintage look like the kind you see in the movie 'Roman Holiday' with Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. 

Imported directly from Italy, our Vespa (which we nicknamed "Scootie") added much to our European life in Los Angeles. Besides the obvious great things about owning a Vespa is the fact that you will save a lot of money on gas.  A Vespa gets a little over 60 miles to the gallon. The gas tank holds 2 gallons. So the cost to fill up the tank is anywhere between $6.00-$6.75.  It makes absolute sense why most Europeans use scooters for transportation. Their price of gas is at least double what we are paying in the US.

When we first purchased the Vespa, which is now my husband's main mode of transportation, he worked 10 minutes away from home. He was filling up the gas tank once or twice a month. Now he works in Santa Monica, CA (about a 1 hour commute, 5o miles roundtrip each day). He now spends about $48 per month on gasoline. Not a bad deal when you compare it to the price of putting gas into a car or SUV. It's great for quick trips around town or going to busy places around LA where it's difficult to find parking.

Enough with the logical reasoning. We adore our Vespa. I generally will put on a skirt when riding with my husband. Hey, if the European girls can do it, why can't I? That's one of things I admired when I saw people on their scooters in Europe. Especially in Italy, everybody was so nicely dressed, girls wearing their stilettos and skirts or dresses and the men were wearing their suits and ties on their way to work. Can you imagine it?! 

Well, now my husband is that guy on a Vespa wearing his suit and tie on his way to work. Mama Mia! And from time to time I am that girl on the back of a Vespa holding on with excitement. Just another way to continue living a European life. 

5 comments:

Deanna said...

this is so cute! i always wanted a vespa...now maybe i'll have to get one! :)

DeeLight said...

I've always wanted to ride on the back of a Vespa. I could never drive one myself...I have zero coordination. I'm reminded of Amelie and her boyfriend at the end of the movie racing through the streets of Paris- LOVE IT!

Jess said...

Aww... the pictures are SOO CUTE! Somehow I can't see myself sharing though... It would have to be me, only me. And New York is the PERFECT PLACE FOR ONE! Well... aside from the lousy weather 6 months out of the year. On second thought, I just got a vision of myself stuck in traffic on Broadway in the pouring rain... not pretty....

debbie said...

I love your jewerly!! Definitely a seasoned purchaser..... plus really glad I linked to your site from the FashionSource!!!! The pictures of France are fantastic! thanks for the "mini" vacation!!!

DKS said...

you have the same vespa (and same color) i do! happy riding!