Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Anthropologie, the Cure for the Common Cold?


I have been sick for the past 5 days. I am fed up with staying at home especially during this beautiful weather we are having in Southern California. It is 80 degrees and sunny outside. So beautiful. I went to the doctor yesterday and found out I have a sinus infection. So now I have my antibiotics and I am hoping to be better in a few days.

After leaving the doctor's office yesterday I could not bear the idea of returning back home. I decided to make a "quick stop" at Anthropologie. The store called me last Friday to let me know that a blouse that I had inquired about had come in and they were holding it for me. I asked them to hold the blouse until Monday because I was very sick and could not leave the house. They kindly agreed.

So on my way I went to Anthro as I like to call it among friends. Never mind the fact that I had no make-up on and had thrown on a pair of jeans (with an Anthro blouse of course) and a news boy cap to hide the fact that I had not fixed my hair. Normally, I go into Anthro only looking my best. But I thought, "I'll just run in and buy the blouse on hold and run out". I was hoping to go unnoticed....and then it happened, just as it always does.

I spotted the cutest little skirt that I had my eye on while browsing online. So I picked up the skirt and walked around the store a bit more. Then I was noticed by the Anthro girls who know me preposterously too well. "What a cute skirt" she remarked. I agreed with her and then went right into apologizing for my appearance and explained that I only looked this way because I was sick. I received kind remarks of sympathy and was offered a dressing room to be started.

The next thing that happened is all together nonsensical and splendid. My ever so helpful Anthro girl started to show me new things that had just arrived. She showed me skirts and blouses and told me that she was in "outfit making mode" today. In between all of this browsing around the store I was sneezing, blowing my nose and trying to manage holding items in my hand at the same time while using my "Shazam" feature on my iphone. Because, as you know, Anthro plays great music. Thanks to "Shazam" I can detect the name, artist, album title etc. and it stores it on my indispensable iphone.

So there I went into the dressing room to try on multiple outfits. I had to remind myself to look past the fact that I had not a drip of make-up on and just focus on the look of the clothes. To my surprise the blouse that I entered the store for was "not handsome enough to tempt me" as Mr. Darcy would say. During this time I was brought more clothes by my Anthro helper. I don't recall how many items were in my dressing room at that point, but the clothes were overflowing. I moved onto the other outfits. Voila! A match was made.

I left the store feeling rather rejuvenated. I have not had this much energy in 5 days! I was thrilled at the idea that I would be wearing my new outfit soon on a sunny clear day. I dreamed that this weekend the weather would be just as lovely as today and I would wear my new skirt while riding our Vespa with my husband. I imagined the handbag and shoes that I would pair with the outfit. I visualized myself feeling vigorous (sans my sinus infection) and wearing make-up again! And this has led me to a scientific conclusion. Anthropologie CAN cure a cold!!! Thank you Anthro girls! Or, maybe it is my antibiotics? Nah, it's Anthro shopping, it cures everything.

Finding a fabulous outfit on an unexpected day is just another day in my European Style Life.

No comments: